Tuesday, September 13, 2016

My Life in September


My life in September becomes very hectic. As the Summer comes to a close, school begins along with my three jobs. My first job is to be a nanny for four adorable children. I am with the children five days a week and feed them a nutritious breakfast, get them dressed for school, get them on the bus, then babysit their youngest brother all day long. After being a nanny, I am a high school cheerleading coach. I instruct my team on how to be cautious during practice and how to be the best they can be! I am also a waitress at a Japanese restaurant in Great Neck, New York. We serve delicious meals to our guests every night. The beautiful month September is busy for me, but it also brings the joyful idea of Autumn approaching. Autumn is one of my favorite months because of the cool weather, the colorful trees, and the flavor of pumpkin!

VOCABULARY:
Hectic: Very busy
Comes to a Close: Ends
Adorable: Very cute
Nutritious: Healthy
Instruct: To Teach
Cautious: Careful
Delicious: Very good tasting
Joyful: Happy
Approaching: coming soon
Cool: not hot, but not cold.
Colorful: having many colors.

Vocabulary Exercise: Chose from the words above to correctly fill in the blanks.
1. My teacher had to ____________ us on how to do our homework.
2. When we looked down the train tracks, we could see that the train was ____________________.
3. My mom is _________________ when we get good grades.
4. Walking past the pet store we saw four _________________ puppies in the window!
5. I like to make  _________________ meals to keep my body healthy!

Grammar Point: Adjectives:
Adjectives are used to describe a noun. An adjective tells how the noun looks, smells, tastes, feels, or acts. Choose 3 adjectives from the list above and create your own sentence for each. Then write a sentence about yourself using any adjectives you like.

4 comments:

  1. And you also have a job as a graduate student! You do too much.

    Fine entry with all the components!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your entry. If this were for actual ELLs, it's great that they would get to know you more on a personal level than just being "their teacher". I like the words you chose for your vocabulary list, not too easy but not too difficult for them to understand and apply in the Vocabulary Exercise you gave them. Can't wait to see your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim you are one busy lady! Those kids are lucky to have you. You must be an incredible babysitter. Great vocabulary exercise. I find word banks to be a great scaffolding technique for all students, but especially ELL's. On a personal note, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Kim! Septemember is definitely a tough month I could see. I really enjoyed your post this week. The activity ius extremely engaging for all ages! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete